SHARE

author image

Phil Foden came on in the second half against Burton (Picture: Getty)

Pep Guardiola defended his decision to name Phil Foden among his substitutes against Burton as David Silva and Kevin De Bruyne needed game-time.

Foden is yet to start a Premier League match this season but the 18-year-old midfielder has impressed when given the chance in cup competitions for City.

While Foden had started every match in the Carabao Cup so far this term, Guardiola selected the England Under-21 international on the bench as City thumped Burton 9-0 on Wednesday night.

The teenager followed up his goal against Rotherham by scoring Citys seventh at the Etihad after replacing De Bruyne in the 58th minute. Silva and De Bruyne have both been struggling with injuries and Guardiola was keen for the star duo to get minutes under their belts.

More: Football

Advertisement Advertisement

Asked about his decision to start Foden on the bench, Guardiola replied: David Silva needs minutes.

In the last two or three weeks he has been injured and Kevin as well so thats why I decided for them, but after 15 minutes of the second half Phil came on.

Foden scored Citys seventh goal at the Etihad (Picture: Getty)

Following Citys comprehensive victory, Burton boss Nigel Clough joked that he hoped Guardiola had more than one glass of wine to offer for their post-match drink.

He said: “Come in for a glass of wine.” I hope hes got more than a glass! Clough said.

Do I wish we hadnt played? Not at all, we have made history in getting this far. It wasnt about tonight it was about the achievement of getting here.

More: Football

We kept going right to the end, they were shouting: “We want 10!”. And we stopped them, thats a positive for us.

I told them that front five, if they reach the Champions League semi-final, will give Real Madrid or whoever they play a problem.

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video

MORE: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer tells Marcus Rashford he is first-choice Manchester United striker ahead of Romelu Lukaku

Advertisement Advertisement